eBay has been a leader in e-commerce for over 20 years. And chances are, if you’ve shopped online, you’ve used it at least once. Still, you may not have been aware that they offer a rewards program through their eBay Extras Mastercard.
It’s time to take a look at this program and see how it works, who it’s best for, and how to maximize your savings with Giving Assistant.
- Get 1-2% cash back with Giving Assistant. In addition to the rewards points you earn with your card (more on that below) you can receive 1% cash back (or 2% if you’re a Power Shopper) on eBay purchases through Giving Assistant.
- $30 statement credit when you open an account. This longtime benefit of the eBay Extras card is applied within the first two billing cycles as long as you’ve made at least one qualifying purchase. Although signing up for the card will not offset the purchase price, it is a nice bonus that will kick in a little later!
- Earn extra points on gas, restaurant, eBay and Paypal purchases. With eBay’s rewards program you will earn 3 points for every dollar spent at gas stations and restaurants, 2 points for each dollar through eBay or Paypal, and 1 point on all other purchases.
- No annual fee
- 24/7 online account maintenance
- 23-day interest-free purchases
- 21.24 or 25.24% variable interest rate (dependent on credit rating at time of approval)
- Up to $38 late fees
- $1.50 minimum interest fee
Rewards System Note
While the eBay Extras point system is easily understandable when it comes to earning points, exactly what those points are worth is a little less defined. We know that 6,000 points can get you $50 cash back into your Paypal account. However, reward offers are only clarified in the account management portal after an account has been opened. Other than that, the only certainty is that points can be redeemed for gift cards, merchandise or travel discounts.
Who is This Credit Card Best For?
Lacking the rewards details makes it rather difficult to recommend this card unless you do a lot of eBay shopping. The cash back offer for 6,000 points works out to between 0.8% and 2.5% depending on where your purchases are made, and other rewards are unknown. If you find yourself shopping on eBay (or with Paypal) frequently, it may be worth it if your other cards do not offer reward programs.
How to Get an eBay Extras Mastercard
The process of getting an eBay card is quite simple. Point your web browser to http://adpages.eBay.com/creditcard/ and click the “Apply Now” button. Fill out the basic information needed by the application and you’ll be on your way to a shopping frenzy! Just remember that the $30 credit will NOT be applied to purchases for several billing cycles.
What Else Should I Know About?
Because eBay doesn’t publicize its rewards well, keep an eye on that part of your account management portal. Rewards are subject to change and these changes will only be visible to account holders within that area.
Tips for Using the eBay Rewards Visa Credit Card
- Do not carry a balance if possible. While credit cards can be great for racking up rewards, those bonuses are quickly offset by interest rates if you carry a balance. For best results, pay the card in full each month to avoid being the one that funds their entire reward system!
- Keep your account current. If you miss two consecutive minimum payments, you will not be scoring reward points until you get caught up. While points will not be forfeited unless the account is closed, they will not award points if an account is delinquent or inactive (not used for 366 days).
- Review your credit periodically. Many credit card issuers are willing to offer better rates to loyal and credit-worthy customers. If you’ve been making payments on time and your credit score is improving, try calling customer service and see if they can work with you.
How to Use Your eBay Extras Mastercard with Giving Assistant
When you go to Giving Assistant you’ll find verified coupons for multiple brands that offer up to 30% savings on select items. By using a Giving Assistant-provided link when you shop you have the potential to earn cash back, save on your purchase price, and get the added benefits from your eBay Extras Mastercard when you pay for your purchase.
Download the Giving Assistant browser extension called the Button, to automatically populate the highest-value coupons as you visit thousands of online shopping websites.
Maximize your rewards earnings and saving potential by combining your eBay Credit Card with discount codes and offers found at Giving Assistant today!