Marriott International, the world’s largest hotel company, operates and franchises hotels and vacation resorts in 127 countries. You can save big the next time you book a stay at the Marriott by signing up for the Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card. And great news! Due to the recent merger with Starwood Hotels, your selection of hotels to earn reward points just got larger!
In this article, we’ll highlight the top perks of the card, provide you with top details, and explain how you can get the biggest bang for your buck while using Giving Assistant.
- One free night stay every year. On your account anniversary, Marriott will send you a free night stay at any Category 1-5 hotel for being a cardholder.
- Unlimited point accumulation. When earning reward points, you’ll never need to worry about caps or expiration dates.
- Earn up to 3% cash back. On qualifying purchases with your Marriott Rewards Premier card, you can earn cash back with Giving Assistant (1.5% cash back for Savvy Shoppers; 3% cash back for Power Shoppers).
- Variable Annual Percentage Rate (APR) ranges from 17.24% to 24.24% based on creditworthiness
- Up to $37 late fees
- $0 annual fee for the first year. After the first 12-month “grace period”, the annual fee is $85.
- 21-day interest-free purchases
- No minimum interest charge
- 24/7 online account maintenance
Point System Breakdown
Currently, Marriott and SPG (Starwood Preferred Guests) are still operating separate reward programs. However, those reward points are just a bonus to the points you’ll earn using your Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card.
Here’s a breakdown of how to accumulate points using your credit card:
- Get 75,000 bonus points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 90 days.
- Earn 5 points for every $1 spent at participating Marriott Rewards and SPG hotels.
- Earn 2 points for every $1 spent on airline tickets purchased directly with the airline, at car rental agencies, and restaurants.
- Earn 1 point for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Points will not expire as long your account remains open. A purchase must be made with your card every 24 months to remain open.
Enroll in Marriott Rewards and SPG for additional benefits when booking at a respective hotel. Marriott Rewards members receive elite night credit earned on paid and redemption stays, reward points earned for meetings and events, and no blackout dates when redeeming stays.
SPG Members receive 2 points per $1 spent, credit toward elite status on paid and redeemed stays, credit earned toward elite status when you contract for a group or meeting, no blackout dates and complimentary in-room bottled water.
Who is This Credit Card Best For?
The Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card is best for frequent and luxury travelers. As a credit cardholder, you’ll earn points on everyday purchases that can be redeemed for hotel stays at some of the most luxurious hotels around the world.
If you’re gearing up for a stay, then now would be the time to snag your new credit card. After spending $3,000 in the first 90 days with your Marriott Card, you’ll receive 75,000 bonus points, which is the equivalent of three Category 5 stays.
Just by swiping your Marriott card, you’ll earn savings. Frequent and luxury travelers are likely to find the biggest bang for their buck.
How to Get a Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card
Ready to sign up for your Marriott Rewards credit card? Visit Marriott’s credit card website and complete the application. You must be at least 18 years of age and have a valid permanent home address within the 50 United States, District of Columbia, United States territories or a United States military address. You will need to provide personal identifying information, including your social security number and annual income to complete a credit check. Once approved, you will receive your card in the mail in 7-10 business days. Approved cardholders will receive a minimum $5,000 credit access line.
What Else Should I Know About?
Marriott classifies their hotels in categories, which determine the amount of points needed per redemption night. Hotel categories do not indicate any form of star rating, level of service or quality.
Here are the number of points required per night based on hotel category:
Category 1: 7,500
Category 2: 10,000
Category 3: 15,000
Category 4: 20,000
Category 5: 25,000
Category 6: 30,000
Category 7: 35,000
Category 8: 40,000
Category 9: 45,000
Tips for Using the Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card
- Never shop without a coupon. Before confirming your next purchase, search Marriott on Giving Assistant for verified coupon codes. You can save up to 50% on hotel bookings or purchases with partners. As a Savvy Shopper on Giving Assistant, you’ll receive 1.5% cash back on all purchases made with your Marriott Rewards Premier credit card, helping you pay down your balance. That’s even more savings!
- Pay your card off in full every 21 days. Marriott’s high APR can sometimes cause you to pay more on interest than your actual purchase. To avoid paying up to 24.24% APR on purchases, try to pay you card in full every 21 days.
- Keep your card active. The more you use your Marriott Rewards Premier card, the more points you’ll earn! You’ll also want to keep your card active to avoid losing any points.
- Take advantage of the introductory offer. Marriott describes 75,000 points as the equivalent of three stays in a Category 5 hotel. Maximize your first $3,000 spent with your new credit card by earning bonus points.
How to Use Your Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card with Giving Assistant
When you go to Giving Assistant you’ll find verified coupons for multiple brands that offer up to 30% savings on select items. By using a Giving Assistant-provided link when you shop you have the potential to earn cash back, save on your purchase price, and get the added benefits from your Marriott Rewards Premier credit card when you pay for your purchase.
Download the Giving Assistant browser extension called the Button, to automatically populate the highest-value coupons as you visit thousands of online shopping websites.
Maximize your rewards earnings and saving potential by combining your Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card with discount codes and offers found at Giving Assistant today!