5 Things You Didn’t Know About Western Union
- Western Union became the 1st American telecommunications corporation to maintain its own fleet of geosynchronous communication satellites.
- At one point, Western Union offered fun and happy services, such as Candygrams, Dollygrams, and Melodygrams.
- During World War II, Western Union used 'boys on bicycles' to deliver unpleasant military service telegrams to families w/ sons in the war.
- After 155 years of continuous service, Western Union decided they could not compete with email & discontinued their telegram service in 2006
- Western Union has a reputation for donating to charitable causes; their Foundation gave $1,000,000 towards the Indian Ocean tsunami of 2004.
How Do I Redeem a Coupon Code at Western Union?
When sending money to another person, you will redeem a Western Union coupon code after you've entered the identifying details related to your transaction. Below is a snapshot of what to expect:
- Use the drop-down list to select the destination (country) of your money transfer.
- Enter the dollar amount in USD in the space provided; the minimum amount allowed is $1.
- Enter the zip code from where you are sending money from.
- Choose the method in which the receiver wishes to pick up their money: a) Bank Account or b) Cash at Agent Location
- Select your method of payment for this transaction: Credit/Debit Card; Bank Account; or WU ®Pay (which uses your own bank's online bill pay service).
- According to the amount of money you are sending, a transaction fee is calculated.
- Enter your promo code in the Promotional Discount Code field; and click 'Apply.'
- Click 'Continue' to either log-in as a returning customer, or create an account as a new user.
- Enter the receiver's information, and click 'Continue.'
- Complete payment information, such as your credit card or debit card details.
- Click 'Continue' to review final details, followed by clicking 'Agree & Continue' to complete the transaction.
Western Union Deals
On occasion, Western Union awards customers who send a qualifying online money transfer with a chance to win a seasonal or holiday sweepstakes, such as the American Dream Sweepstakes for Mother's Day that offers the winner $3,000 to treat Mom to a luxury weekend.
Western Union Review
Whether you're sending 'happy birthday' money cross-country to a relative or paying a bill online, popular methods of moving money in the U.S. include the likes of Moneygram, Xoom, and Western Union. With a colorful history and reputation for helping businesses exchange telegrams, Western Union was a leader in the telegraph industry until the service was discontinued in the mid-2000. Since then, the company has cultivated a multitude of convenient, fast services that include person-to-person money transfers, business financial transactions, commercial services, and money orders.
Western Union allows users to send money to family and friends residing in nearly every location in the world (including jail) with a multitude of convenient methods to receive funds. With a government-issued ID in hand, visiting an agent location is one of the quickest and easiest ways to receive money through Western Union. For some, loading a money transfer onto a Western Union Prepaid Card is easier for both parties. The company also facilitates bank account deposits, and offers mobile wallet deposits in certain countries.
Western Union is a popular method for those who are in need of using secure payment services to pay their bills, from credit cards to mortgages to keeping the lights, gas and heat on. Online bill-paying services from WU start at $5, or you can pay bills in person at a Western Union location, or send money by phone with Western Union's 24-hour service. Proof of payment is received within minutes, and options also include international payments accommodating more than 135 currencies around the world.
Western Union also joined forces with NetSpend to provide consumers with prepaid cards in the form of the Western Union NetSpend Prepaid Mastercard. Since it's not actually a credit card, you won't have to worry about late fees, interest, or a credit check. You'll be able to effortlessly send and receive WU money transfers within minutes, shop online, or pay your car loan with it. The prepaid card also offers direct deposit perks that allows you to get your paychecks, government payments, and other regular payments up to two days faster.
As a Western Union online user, you'll be able to track transfers, find agent locations, estimate prices and fees to send money, and contact customer care with the click of a button.
In addition to the occasional promotion or chance to save money on a transaction, joining the free My WU loyalty program also means earning points with every qualifying transfer. These points are redeemable for service fee reductions of $5, $12, $30, or $10; extra phone time; or even cash back opportunities. And, when completing a transaction using a Giving Assistant coupon code, you'll not only rack up the savings, but also contribute to a good cause in the meantime.
One of the most viewed videos relating to Western Union, #WUHomeCooked: Western Union Bringing Home A Little Closer, shows the strides the company has taken to give back to the community – even if it's as simple as providing a home-cooked meal.
Western Union Social Media Links
Western Union on Twitter: Here, the company touches upon sharing travel stories, discussing exchange rates, highlighting charitable events, and creating dialogue with hashtags, such as #SharetheLove.
Western Union on Facebook: Followers of the company's Facebook page usually share, 'like' or comment on the latest WU videos, community questions, ads, and/or contests.
Western Union on Google+: Follow the latest hashtagged conversations, seasonal and holiday interactions, and inspirational campaigns related to the company
Western Union on Instagram: Images representing Western Union-supported events, print campaigns, and seasonal greetings fill the Instagram feed of this company.
Western Union on Pinterest: The Pins on this account primarily focus on travel highlights, seasonal features, the holidays, and sharing #WUHomeCooked experiences.
Western Union on YouTube: The uploads for this YouTube channel is full of international love, non-profit support, and giving back to communities.
Western Union Customer Service Contact Info
Western Union Financial Services, Inc.
P.O. Box 6036
Englewood, CO 80112
Telephone Number: +1 (800) 325-6000